The new Pavilion Theatre has opened in Dun Laoghaire in South County Dublin. It stands on the site of the old Pavilion which offered generations of people in Dun Laoghaire everything from ballet to firework displays.
The original Pavilion opened in 1903 and was a popular venue for concerts, dances and variety shows. The theatre burned down in November 1915 and despite being painted with fire-proof paint, it burned down again in 1919. In the 1920s it became a 850-seater cinema. The building was bought by the corporation in 1975 and it was run as a theatre for some years before falling into disuse.
The new theatre still bears the name The Pavilion, and will continue the tradition of entertainment established many years ago in Dun Laoghaire. The programme will include theatre, opera, music (classical and popular) as well as comedy.